Jmckeown 2013-04-21 08:12:42
Hi Guys, My partner and I are traveling to Niseko to hit the slope and work this coming season! Just wanna know what are must haves? And any tips I.e buying snowboards renting and jobs! Thanks in advance!
Echosolace (2013-04-21 16:18:22)

Finding jobs during the winter is not so hard so long as you work towards that goal in advance.  Find the places you want to work and hear what people have to say about their employers.  Seriously, some will point out that their employers are bat shit insane or are engaging in legal gray zones. I got lucky using Gaijinpot, but I imagine your chances would improve if you contacted businesses directly.  You might be able to find a map of the businesses in town at 360niseko.com. 

You will also need to find a place.  Sometimes your employer may assist you with that.  Renting property in Japan is no easy task. Having some local buddies in that front would help tremendously.To give some perspective, I used to live in a place that was 55,000 per month, then changed to 55,000 per night when the season rolled around.  Rental property is a commodity in the extreme during the winter here. 

There are enough snowboards in town that you shouldn't need to buy one new.  I'd say keep your eyes on this forum for sales.  A lot of people come to Niseko, buy a board, and leave it behind when they leave.  I've been here for one season, and I started off with one board.  I now have 4 boards and 5 sets of boots.  I can't be the only one willing to give you a good deal.  

If you want a good deal or to look through a recycle shop for used goods, I suggest Boom Boom down the street from the station.  

Hope that helps. 

Jmckeown (2013-04-23 19:04:22)
Thanks heaps mate! Awesome info...looks like we may have a job at Niseko Pizza lined up which should be cool?! How did you go finding a place once your rent from 55,000 a month to 55,000 a day?
Echosolace (2013-04-23 19:16:17)

I know who you're going to be working for and how employees feel about working there.  He knows how to run a restaurant, but from what I hear he can get a little stressed sometimes, which ends up on the staff.  Either way, you serve to learn a good bit about cooking there.  I have certainly considered it myself.  

I found my current place through word of mouth.  If you intend on staying just for the season, expect to pay a premium.  Longer term residents can pull a little more sway.  If you have transportation, your options increase greatly.  Here's a few websites to look up - 

http://www.nisekoproperty.com/Home/For-Lease

http://www.hokkaidorealestate.com/

http://nisekolifeplan.co.jp/

http://www.nisekoconsulting.com/niseko-accommodation/

http://www.niseko-estate.com/?id=293

Good luck. 

Jmckeown (2013-04-23 19:46:54)
Cheers mate! Where are you from? We are Australian and we are gonna move over in September and stay through to may is that considered long term? So it's not the worst place to work at then? Haha is there anywhere you would or would not recommend working at?
Echosolace (2013-04-23 19:58:08)

I'm American.  Just a handful of Americans around here.  If you ever see someone walking around carrying a spraypainted desktop, you'll know who I am. 

As for the length of stay you said, I don't know, it could be depending on who's trying to sell the lease to you.  

There certainly are places I'd say you should avoid like the plague, but just do some due diligence beforehand and google whomever comes up.  That should provide enough remarks regarding whatever employer you're looking at.  To be honest, Niseko Pizza would be one of the first places I'd attempt to work at if I was looking for a job.  That could just be my interest in quality pizza though.  

Jmckeown (2013-04-26 14:24:58)
Cheers buddy ill be sure to buy you a beer!
Echosolace (2013-04-26 14:32:27)

I see the beginnings of Ameristralia next winter.  

thegoat (2013-04-26 14:36:22)

Ameristralia

Echosolace (2013-04-26 14:38:53)

Ameristralia 

482 up29 down

the union of the greatest country in the world and the deadliest island, Ameristralia rules all of the day and all of the night. Founded in 2013 Ameristralia is the newest and most kickass country to ever exist. The national flag has stars, stripes and a few more stars and stripes to make it the most star and stripey flag in human history. The national animal is the eaoalga and ferocious blend of koala and eagle that rules the skies and terrorizes the ground. The internet never sleeps with Ameristralians on duty for life, liberty and the pursuit of not being bitten by a venomous snake. God Bless Ameristralia.

Where you from? AMERISTRALIA bitch!

Jmckeown (2013-04-26 15:48:39)
Haha gold!
bluesyboard (2013-05-05 06:07:17)
Hey! I'm in the UK and I'm trying to sort my first season out there! Not a qualified instructor or anything and haven't got a visa yet, not really sure where to start, don't want to miss out though!

Where's a good place to look for jobs? I've looked on natives etc. But could really do with some advice please. Thanks!
bluesyboard (2013-05-05 06:08:54)
Also I'm not really bothered what job I do, as long as I get to see some snow! Thanks again :)
Jmckeown (2013-05-26 09:27:35)
Hey Bluesy Board see above the guys have been super helpful! Echo solace got another question for ya! Haha what would be a good time to head over for per season...we are planning October now.
DanPower (2013-09-05 04:28:35)
Hey bluesy I've worked the last two seasons at Taj Mahal indian restaurant.. you've gotta wear a silly outfit and the pay is at the lower end of the scale but apart from that it's not a bad job.. came with free accommodation less than 5 minutes' walk from the centre of town (10 minutes to the chairlift) and if you know your way around you can ski through the trees to the house :) Free food at the end of your shift too, cuts the costs down..

I won't be going back this year (running my own business now) and they're always looking for native english speaking floor staff so if you want an easy job they're worth a try, just wander in and ask to speak to the boss Mr. Mansukhani (man-soo-kah-ni), he's always there early in the season.

Jmckeown - the town is VERY quiet until late Nov early Dec and doesn't really kick off until mid Dec. The last 2 seasons have seen almost no snowfall until around the 20th of November then BOOM it's powder time :D
bluesyboard (2013-09-09 19:35:46)
Hi DanPower! Thanks for that, I managed to get a job with a different company :D Just trying to sort the visa now. Do you have any thoughts as to what I should put on my itinerary please? They written me a cover letter, I've written my reason for visiting letter and have the funding but am just struggling with this last bit now! I had one written up before but it was before I got the job and just included sightseeing with the hopes of getting a job.

Thank you!
COMMENT